There are a lot of Australians in Europe including United Kingdom. And there’s also a considerable number of Aussies in the United States and Canada. A lot of them like to keep in touch with their relatives and friends back home by talking to them over the phone. If you want to call Australia from abroad, just follow the instructions below.
Dial Australia from Abroad in 5 Steps:
Calling someone in Canberra or Sydney in Australia from abroad, you will need to:
- Dial the exit code from the country you’re in right now. From UK – 00, US – 011 and Canada – 011. For other countries, see below.
- Add the country code for Australia – 61
- Include the area code for the city or town. For Melbourne it’s 3 and for Canberra and Sydney it’s 2. For other area codes, see below.
- Enter the remaining phone number you’ve been given. Ignore area code if you’re dialling a mobile phone number (cellular)
- Be aware of the time differences.
If you are to call Sydney, Australia from USA or Canada, you will dial:
- 011 61 2 123 456
For a more detailed step by step explanation, please read further.
Dialling Australia from Overseas
You will dial an access code to contact someone in Australia if you’re outside the country. I have listed some of the codes here but if yours is not included below, please see the full list of international calling codes.
- United Kingdom – 00
- United States – 011
- Canada – 011
- New Zealand – 00
- South Africa – 09
- European Countries – 00
Area Codes: Calling an Australian Landline
The list below contains some of the landline area code for Australia:
- 2 for – Albury-Wodonga, Canberra, Gosford, Maitland, Newcastle, Orange, Port Macquarie, Sydney, Tamworth, Wagga Wagga and Wollomgong
- 3 for – Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Hobart, Launceston, Melbourne, Melton, Midura, Shepparton, Sunbury and Warrnambool
- 7 for – Brisbane, Bundaberg, Cairns, Gold Coast, Hervey Bay, Mackay, Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast, Tweed Heads, Townsville and Toowoomba
- 8 for – Adelaide, Bunbury, Darwin, Mandurah, Perth and Rockingham
You may get a few variations for one single telephone number, but the way to contact them from outside Australia will always be the same. Here is an example if you are to call someone in Sydney, Australia and you live in England:
|Phone Number Variation||Call Australia from UK|
|1234 5678||00 61 2 123 456|
|02 1234 5678||00 61 2 123 456|
|+61 2 1234 5678||00 61 2 123 456|
|+61 (0)2 1234 5678||00 61 2 123 456|
Cellular Prefix Code: Dialling a Mobile Phone in Australia
An Australian mobile phone (cellular) number already includes a prefix code. You don’t need to dial an area code. It starts with a 4.
If you’re calling a cellular phone number in Australia from US or Canada, you will dial:
- 011 4 1234 5678
Knowing the Time to Ring Australia
Determine what time it is in Australia before you call. Australia is a massive country. There are 3 timezones:
- Eastern Standard Time (AEST): in New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Victoria, Tasmania and Queensland is GMT +10
- Central Standard Time (ACST) in South Australia and Northern Territory is GMT +9.5
- Western Standard Time (AWST) in Western Australia is GMT +8
Like in most countries, it has a standard time and daylight saving time. It begins at 2am on the first Sunday in October, when clock is advanced one hour forward. It ends at 2am on the first Sunday in April, when clock goes backward one hour. However, this is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory or Western Australia.
- During Standard time it is GMT +1
- During Summer Time it is GMT +2 ( observed from last Sunday of March at 01.00 and ends on the last Sunday of October at 01.00)
Australia is south of the equator, therefore their spring and summer season is opposite of those countries which are north of the equator.
From April to October, Sydney Australia is:
- 1 hour ahead of Britain
- In the States, Germany is:
- 6 hours ahead of New Jersey, USA
- 8 hours ahead of Denver, Colorado, USA
- 6 hours ahead of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 6 hours behind of Perth WA, Australia
- 11 hours behind of Wellington, New Zealand
Contacting Someone in Australia
Australia is a vast country. It ranks 6th place in the world in terms of its total land area. However, with residents well under 30 million, it’s only 51st in the population’s world ranking.
Just follow the 5 steps above if you need to make travel related enquiries in Australia or if you simply want to call your friends or family in Australia from abroad. The code to dial abroad varies depending on which country you’re from. Head over to the international prefix code page if yours is not included above.