Austria is a member country of the European Union. Interestingly, around 10% of its population lives overseas. Majority of them are in Switzerland, Germany, United States, United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia and Spain. If you’re outside the country and want to call Austria from overseas, please read the 5 simple steps below.
Dial Austria from Abroad in 5 Steps:
Calling someone in Vienna or Salzburg in Austria from abroad, you will need to:
- Dial the exit code from the country you’re in right now. From UK – 00, US – 011 and Canada – 011. For other countries, see below.
- Add the country code for Austria – 43
- Include the area code for the city or town. For Vienna it’s 1, Graz it’s 316 and for Salzburg it’s 662. For other area codes, see below.
- Enter the remaining phone number you’ve been given. If you’re dialling a mobile phone number (cellular), it starts with a 6.
- Be aware of the time differences.
If you are to call Vienna, Austria from USA or Canada, you will dial:
- 011 43 1 123 456
For a more detailed step by step explanation, please read further.
Access Number: Dialling Austria from Overseas
You will need to dial an access code to contact someone in Austria if you’re outside the country. Some of the codes are listed here but if yours is not included, please see the full list of international calling codes.
- United Kingdom – 00
- United States – 011
- Canada – 011
- Australia – 0011
- New Zealand – 00
- South Africa – 09
- European Countries – 00
Area Phone Codes: Calling an Austrian Landline
The list below contains some of the landline area code for Austria:
|Baden bei Wien||2252||Salzburg||662|
|Bad Gastein||6434||Sankt Polten||2742|
|Klosterneuburg||2243||Zell am See||6542|
You may get a few variations for a single landline number, but the way to contact them from outside Austria will always be the same. Here is an example if you are to call someone in Salzburg, Austria and you live in Britain:
|Phone Number Variation||Call Austria from UK|
|123 456||00 43 662 123 456|
|0 662 123 456||00 43 662 123 456|
|+43 662 123 456||00 43 662 123 456|
|+43 (0)662 123 456||00 43 662 123 456|
Cellular Prefix Code: Dialling a Mobile Phone in Austria
An Austrian mobile phone (cellular) number starts with a 6. If you’re calling a cellular phone number in Austria from US or Canada, you will dial:
- 011 43 6 ??? ??? ???
Knowing the Time to Call Austria
Determine what time it is in Austria before you call. Austria follows the Central European Time. However, like in most countries, it has a standard time and daylight saving time.
- Standard time it is GMT +1
- Daylight Saving Time it is GMT +2
When does it observe the Daylight Saving Time?
- Starts: Last Sunday of March at 01:00 GMT. Clocks go forward one hour.
- Ends: Last Sunday of October at 01:00 GMT. Clocks go back one hour.
Contacting Someone in Austria
Austria maybe a small country in terms of its land area. However, it ranks 29th in the world in terms of its total economic output. And with less than 10 million residents, it enjoys a very comfortable living. If you need to call Austria for business or leisure just follow the five steps above.