France is popular all over the world. Its capital is known as the city of light. The country has over 60 million residents and they take great pride of their country’s culture. There are a considerable number of French people who live in neighbouring European countries such as Germany, Belgium and United Kingdom. But also acroos the Atlantic in countries such as the United States and Canada. If you want to call France from abroad, follow the instruction below.
5 Steps to Call France from UK, US, Canada & more:
- You will need an access code to contact someone in France if you’re in a different country. Dial the exit code from the country you’re in right now.
- United Kingdom – 00
- United States – 011
- Canada – 011
- Australia – 0011
- New Zealand – 00
- South Africa – 09
- Some European Countries – 00
- For other countries, please see the full list of international calling codes
- Add the country code for France – 33
- Include the area code for the city or town.
- Paris: 1
- Brest, Cherbourg, Le Havre, Nantes, Orleans, Rouen: 2
- Boulogne, Calais, Dijon, Lille, Nancy, Strasbourg, Reims, Troyes: 3
- Cannes, Grenoble, Lyon, Marseille, Nice, St. Etienne, Toulon, Valence: 4
- Bordeaux, Limoges, Lourdes, Toulouse: 5
- Corsica: 495
- Enter the remaining phone number you’ve been given.
- When dialling a mobile phone number in France, ignore the area code. It starts with a 6 or a 7.
Dialling A Phone Number in France:
You maybe given a few variations even for a single landline number. Have a look at a sample phone number in Paris, France at the table below:
|Phone Number Variation|
|123 456 78|
|1 123 456 78|
|+33 1 123 456 78|
Aside from the country exit code where you’re currently living, the way to contact anyone in France will always be the same as per above instruction. Below are some sample phone numbers if you are:
- To contact someone in Rouen, France and you live in England:
- 00 33 2 123 456 78
- When calling Lille, France from USA or Canada, you will dial:
- 011 33 3 123 456 78
- To ring a cellular phone number in France and you’re from Australia, you will dial:
- 0011 (x) 123 456 78
- Where x is either a 6 or a 7
When to Call France
Determine what time it is in France before you call. There’s nothing worse than receiving a phone call at 1 o’clock in the morning. The French won’t be impressed.
France follows the Central European Time Zone. However, like in most countries, daylight saving time is observed.
- Standard time it is GMT +1
- Daylight Saving Time it is GMT +2
Daylight Saving Time: When does it start and end?
- Starts: Last Sunday of March at 01:00 GMT. Clocks go forward one hour. GMT +2
- Ends: Last Sunday of October at 01:00 GMT. Clocks go back one hour. GMT +1
France is a big country. It is two third bigger than the UK. The capital and other cities are grand in design. The countryside is rich in culture with lots of open space and peaceful living. If you need to contact someone in France from abroad, just follow the 5 steps as explained above.