Germany has a population of over 80 million people. There is a considerable number of Germans living overseas. They work and some have settled in countries like United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. If you want to call Germany from abroad, just follow the instructions below.
Phone Germany from Abroad in 5 Steps:
Calling someone in Berlin, Munich or anywhere in Germany from abroad, you will need to:
- Dial the international code from the country you’re in right now. If you’re from: UK 00, US 011, Canada 011 – other countries access code see below.
- Add the country code for Germany – 49
- Include the area code for the city or town. Berlin is 30 and for Munich it’s 89 – other area codes see below.
- Enter the remaining digits (the phone number you’ve been given). Ignore area code if you’re dialling a mobile phone number (cellular)
- Be aware of the time differences.
For a more detailed explanation, read further.
Step 1: Access Number When Dialling Germany from Overseas
You will need your own country’s access code to make a call outside your country. I have listed some of the codes below but if your country is not listed below, please see our full list of international calling codes.
- United Kingdom – 00
- United States – 011
- Canada – 011
- Australia – 0011
- New Zealand – 00
- South Africa – 09
- Philippines – 00
Step 2: Germany Country Code
The telephone country code for Germany is 49.
Step 3: Germany Telephone Area Codes
The list below contains some of the area code for German landline numbers.
|Bonn||228||Offenbach am Main||69|
You may get a few variations for one single telephone number, but the way to contact them from outside Germany will always be the same as charted below:
|Phone Number Variation||Call Germany from UK|
|123 456||00 49 30 123 456|
|030 123 456||00 49 30 123 456|
|+49 30 123 456||00 49 30 123 456|
|+49 (0)30 123 456||00 49 30 123 456|
Step 4: Dialing a Mobile / Cellular phone number in Germany
A German mobile phone (cellular) number already includes a prefix code. You don’t need to dial an area code. It starts with a 15, 16 or 17. If you’re calling a cellular phone number in Germany from US or Canada, you will dial:
- 011 (15 or 16 or 17) ???? ????
Step 5: Time Differences: Knowing when to call Germany from Your Country
Determine what time it is in Germany before you call. It follows the Central European Time (CET) Zone.
- During Standard time it is GMT +1
- During Summer Time it is GMT +2 ( observed from last Sunday of March at 01.00 and ends on the last Sunday of October at 01.00)
United Kingdom time is changed similar to most European countries in observance of the Daylight Saving Time. It is referred in the UK as British Summer Time or BST.
During Summer time, Germany is:
- 1 hour ahead of Britain
- In the States, Germany is:
- 6 hours ahead of New Jersey, USA
- 8 hours ahead of Denver, Colorado, USA
- 6 hours ahead of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 6 hours behind of Perth WA, Australia
- 11 hours behind of Wellington, New Zealand
Contacting Someone in Germany
Germany is one of the most influential country in Europe. Its economy is fourth largest in the world. If you’re trying to explore the capital, who will blame you? There are lots of places to see and things to do in Berlin. Just follow the 5 steps above if you want to ring Germany. The access code to dial abroad varies depending on the country you’re ringing from. Head over to the international prefix code page if yours is not written above.